You’ve probably noticed that things have changed a bit. We haven’t finished updating all our pages yet, so some sections are still using this design. Please bear with us...
The High Street Challenge
The High Street Challenge
Take part in another chance to transform Southwark's high streets with inspiring, innovative projects.
Do you have a great idea that will help our town centres thrive? If so, then come and take part in The High Street Challenge.
What's it all about?
The High Street Challenge launched in January 2014, this will be the final round of the High Street Challenge. You can read about the some of the projects that have been funded so far here. Round 6 of The High Street Challenge is now open and we are in the search of a sixth set of pioneering projects with the aim of achieving the following goals:
- Diversifying the offer of town centres and high streets to attract more people throughout the day and meet changing demands
- Transforming spaces to attract new customers to the high street and engage people for longer
- Improving connections between businesses, residents and community groups in ways that build local capacity to help high streets and town centres to thrive
Your idea should be located in one of Southwark’s high streets or town centres. We want to hear about your inspirational ideas which will help shops and businesses to thrive and bring long term benefits to our high streets and town centres.
Who can apply?
The fund is open to a wide variety of organisations and we welcome partnerships that bring together diverse skills and expertise.
We want to hear from you if you are a:
- Business network
- Group from the arts, or creative sectors
- Educational establishment such as a school, college, or university
- Voluntary sector, community or resident group
- Individual business (if representative and supported by other local businesses)
Round 6 asks applicants to consider match funding and crowd funding opportunities. Evidence of wider financial support for your project will help give confidence that your project idea is sustainable and needed by local residents, businesses and other local organisations.
You can find out more about crowd funding initiatives here.
How to get started?
We select the best entries against the fund criteria
We will help you turn the winning ideas into reality
You help us to shape things to come on Southwark's high streets and town centres
Download the Round Six prospectus and application form here.
The closing date for Round 6 applications is 5pm on the 21st March 2017
Depending on your project, you may need to contact other council officers to check on your project’s viability. Here are some useful links:
For an in-depth review of eight of the borough's high streets click here.