rating button

Southwark Council would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set.

You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy notice.

Jump to content | Change font size and colours |

| or register?

Choose a service...

Welcome to our new website!

You’ve probably noticed that things have changed a bit. We haven’t finished updating all our pages yet, so some sections are still using this design. Please bear with us...

Fair processing notice

Fair Processing Notice 2016

What information do we keep about you?

The Council holds a variety of information about people living and working in our borough.

For example, records are kept by: housing, libraries, education, council tax, housing benefit, social services, planning and other services.

You can find out what information we process by visiting www.ico.org.uk/esdwebpages/search and searching “Z5394246”, or ‘London Borough of Southwark’.

Why does the Council need to collect, store and use personal data?

We need to collect and use personal data so we can get in touch with you, or provide the service you have asked for.

For example, we can't write to you if we don't know your address.

We always try to make sure the information we collect is correct and is only what we need to know to provide the service.

Some of our services are undertaken by other companies on our behalf. We may pass your personal data on to these companies, so that they can provide the service.

These companies are obliged to keep your details securely, and use them only to fulfil your request. Once your request has been dealt with or the case has been closed, they will dispose of the details.

How we use and store your information

Most of our records are stored in electronic databases, although we may also hold some paper-based records.

Your records are protected by the Data Protection Act 1998. Records are confidential and we have a duty to keep them safe.

Can anyone else see my records?

In most situations, we will not give information about you to other people, unless we have your permission. This includes:

  • Your family
  • The Department of Works and Pensions, the Home Office, HMRC, and other local authorities
  • The police, unless it relates to a very serious crime

But there are some circumstances when we are obliged to share information without your permission, for example:

  • To protect you or another person
  • For the administration of justice
  • To meet other legal obligations

These are very rare cases, and we will only pass on the minimum information that is legally required.

The National Fraud Initiative

The Cabinet Office currently requires us to participate in the National Fraud Initiative (NFI), a data-matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud against ourselves and other public sector organisations.

We are required to provide particular sets of data to the Cabinet Office for matching for each exercise; these are set out in the Public Sector Data Requirements. The last data-matching exercise was conducted in October 2016.

View more information about the Cabinet Office data matching exercises. You can also read national reports on the NFI published before 1 April 2015 by the Audit Commission.

Alternatively you can contact nfiqueries@cabinetoffice.gov.uk or write to: Head of NFI, Red zone, 4th floor, 1 Horse Guards Road, London SW1 2HQ.

Your right to see your records

You have the right to see any of the information we hold about you except:

  • Information that identifies people other than you, unless they give their consent
  • Information that could lead to the risk of serious harm to you or someone else
  • Information about some legal matters such as confidential advice or serious crime

Normally, we will let you see what we have on your file about you. You do not have the right to see anything about other members of your family that may be kept on your file.

How can I see my records?

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), you have the right to apply for a copy of the personal information held about you by Southwark Council.  A request for information about yourself is known as a ‘subject access request’, so called because you are the data subject.


Bookmark this page

Share this page


Contact us

Southwark Council
PO BOX 64529
London SE1P 5LX

Useful contacts...

Follow us What is this?

  • RSS feed
  • youTube channel
  • twitter account
  • facebook fan
  • flickr photostream