rating button

Southwark Council would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set.

You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy notice.

Jump to content | Change font size and colours |

| or register?

Choose a service...

Welcome to our new website!

You’ve probably noticed that things have changed a bit. We haven’t finished updating all our pages yet, so some sections are still using this design. Please bear with us...

Property licensing

Certain types of privately rented properties require a licence to operate in Southwark.

There are three types of licenses for three types of property. These are:

Mandatory licensing for houses in multiple occupation that are:

  • Three or more storeys high; and
  • Have five or more people in two or more households; and
  • Share amenities such as bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities

Additional licensing for all houses in multiple occupation that don't fall into the definition provided above.

See licensing houses or flats in multiple occupation below for more information on both of these licensing schemes.

Selective licensing for privately rented properties that are let to single individuals, or families, in specific areas of the borough.

See licensing houses or flats in single occupation below for more information.

Click here to view the public notices for the designation of Selective and Additional Licensing in the borough.

Click here for the governments guide on licensing for landlords.



Bookmark this page

Share this page

Private Sector Housing Enforcement Team

Tel: 0207 525 3114



Contact us

Southwark Council
PO BOX 64529
London SE1P 5LX

Useful contacts...

Follow us What is this?

  • RSS feed
  • youTube channel
  • twitter account
  • facebook fan
  • flickr photostream